Your Welcome Wagon to Barrow County

Welcome to our friendly community! Come visit the Barrow County Chamber of Commerce in the historic railroad depot in downtown Winder #6 Porter Street and receive a welcome packet and let us help you get settled with your new hometown and our surroundings.

Helpful Hints for New Residents

Applying for a Georgia License From Out of State New Georgia residents must apply for a Georgia driver’s license within 30 days. All other licenses must be surrendered before issuance of a Georgia license. If you surrender an expired, out of state license, or if you are under the age of 18, you must successfully pass an eye examination, road rules test, road signs test and a driving test.

For more information and necessary documentation go to:

There are no customer service locations for residents to apply for driver’s license in Barrow County.

Recommended Customer Service location:  Walton County

Address:  1010 Heritage Pkwy., Between, GA 30655

Barrow County Auto Tags

If relocating from out of state, you are required to obtain a Georgia vehicle tag from the Barrow County Tax Commissioner’s office within 30 days after establishing residency. Auto registration, proof of insurance and title or lien holder must be presented. Moving from another county in Georgia requires only proof of your Barrow County address.

For more information:  (770) 307-3106

Barrow County Taxes

Homestead exemption may be filed January 2 - March 1   

The Tax Commissioner’s office is located in the Historic Courthouse downtown Winder 30 North Broad Street, Winder, 30680.

For more information:  (770) 307-3034,

State / County Taxes

Georgia taxes individual income on a graduate scale with employers’ withholding tax as a payroll deduction.

Georgia sales tax is four percent (4%) of the sales price on personal property.

Barrow County tax is three percent (3%) of the sales price on personal property.

Voter Registration

Residents of Barrow County must be at least 17½ years of age to register to vote and 18 years of age to vote. Registration is required 30 days prior to an election.

For local registration sites and voting information: (770) 307-3510,


Depending on where you are located in Barrow County, your power supplier will be either Georgia Power Company or Jackson EMC.

Georgia Power Company – (888) 660-5890,

Jackson EMC – (706) 367-5281,

Water / Sewer / Gas / Garbage

For water, sewer, gas, or garbage pick-up, please contact your specific City Hall or County offices for more information.

Auburn City Hall – (770) 963-4002

Bethlehem City Hall – (770) 867-0702

Braselton City Hall – (706) 654-3915

Carl City Hall – (770) 867-1308

Winder City Hall – (770) 867-3106

Statham City Hall – (770) 725-7100

Outside City Limit - Barrow County – (770) 307-3005,

Telephone Services

Depending on where you are located in Barrow County either Windstream or AT&T Telecommunications will serve you.

Windstream  – (800) 347-1991

AT&T – Move Home Service:  (844) 383-3317; New Service:  (844) 248-3809